Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Think You Have On-Site Service? Maybe Not

My purchase of an ABS Awesome 6300 PC in April 2004 included a three-year on-site service contract. So when my PC failed to start last November, I called ABS. A technician walked me through potential fixes, but none worked. I told him I had an on-site service contract, but he and a manager said the company that was supposed to provide the on-site service had gone out of business, and he and ABS could do nothing about it. I purchased the service contract from ABS, but I have received from them as yet neither service nor a refund.

Luis Garcia-Bunuel, Prescott, Arizona
On Your Side responds: According to ABS, Garcia-Bunuel's on-site service agreement wasn't actually with ABS, but with 2NET, a company that ABS partnered with for several years. Later, ABS terminated its relationship with 2NET, which has since gone out of business. An ABS spokesperson said the company clearly stated on its Web site and in material accompanying the PC that the service was provided by 2NET. Garcia-Bunuel says the only indication that his service was with 2NET was an item on his initial invoice. ABS gave free phone tech support to Garcia-Bunuel, and a company rep said he can call if he has more problems.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/131872-1/article.html